The good news: I figured out the pattern for Pomatomus! The chart didn’t make any sense to me before I started, but once I got into the pattern it was very easy to memorize.
The bad news: These socks are going to be tiny! Comically tiny. There is no way they would have worked for me. Or my mom. Or my sister. They are just way, way too small.
Where did I go wrong? I think my gauge has changed as I’ve become more accustomed to small needles. I’ve only knit a few pairs of socks, and of course I wasn’t immediately comfortable with the tiny needles. I couldn’t get a good grip on them, so everything came out really loose and I had to go down a size. I think that as I’ve become more comfortable with the small needles I’ve started to get what would be a “normal” gauge. Since I was still using a smaller needle, I came out with smaller socks. Oh poo.
I won’t re-attempt these immediately. I picked Pomatomus in green because of the March Socktopia theme “It’s not easy being green.” Now that March is over I’m not in any rush. I also have a TON of this yarn (CTH Supersock) that I got as a mill end from ebay. I think I’ll use it to swatch for Serrano.