As you may recall, I bought a giant green ball of fiber at Rhinebeck. I’m pretty sure it was the Hand Dyed Crazy Balls wool blend from Spinners Hill (#2 if you follow the link) but I was so overwhelmed at Rhinebeck I can’t be certain.
I got the whole remaining ball of green, a full pound of it, for two reasons:
– if it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing
– the colors varied pretty significantly within the ball, and I wanted all of them
When I unwound the ball, I found that it was a strip of roving about 55 feet long. As you can see, the segments on the bottom (which had been towards the core of the ball) are bluer than the stuff on top.
The first thing I did was break the giant strip in half, so I had a warmer-green rope and a cooler-green rope. Then I split each of those lengthwise into six segments of comperable (though not equal) size.
I don’t like to use flash photos, but you can really see the color difference here between the warmer-green and cooler-green.
I decided to call the warmer stuff type A and the cooler stuff type B, and labeled it and packed it up.
The plan is to spin all the A, then all the B, and ply it together (following the guidance here). It should be enough for a vest, I think.
I’ve been making progress.
I think I’ve spun up about a quarter of it so far. I’m still in the park-and-draft stage so it’s slow-ish going, but I’m finding spinning to be even more relaxing that knitting. Curses. I’ve clearly been bitten by another species of fiber bug.