Pink Pirates

090

Pattern: We Call Them Pirates
Yarn: Filatura di Crosa 501
Recipient: My sister Caroline

At first, I followed the pattern and the hat came out too short. I needed to add a fourth row of skulls.

I mess up my knitting and do surgery on it all the time. In fact, I think that the trademark of a confident knitter is less in the actual knitting, and more in the willingness to tinker and rework things. But I had never fixed colorwork before and I was really nervous about it for some reason. I threaded a sock needle through the top row of the third row of skulls…

005

and RIPPED!

011

And it was totally fine. I added another row of skulls, no problem, and finished it up. It turned out great! I think I smell a pair of Pirate Mittens in her future!

Advertisements

Pink Pirates – Take One

I decided to knit We Call Them Pirates for my sister as a birthday present (her birthday was over the weekend).

The good news:

010

It looks awesome!

007

It’s lined in shocking orange Shine Worsted to keep the wool off her face!

The bad news:

001

It’s way too short. It’s so short it pops off my head if I turn my neck. Curses. So I think what I’ll do is rip back and add a fourth row of skulls, and give it to her for Christmas.

Inga

Inga 001

Pattern: Inga Hat by Sheila MacDonald. It is true that following the pattern as written produces an awfully long hat, but I like awfully long hats.
Yarn: Cascade 220 in dark purple and light blue, a scrap of Ella Rae Classic in bright purple left over from my first crochet scarf

Inga 008

The top of this pattern is quite pointy, so I decided to celebrate the pointiness with a tassel. I think it pulls it all together.

Inga 002

This was the most complicated colorwork chart I’ve ever followed, and I was proud of myself for doing that. My issue was not with following the chart, it was maintaining even tension while holding the light blue in my left hand.

Inga pre-blocking

As you can see in this pre-blocking photo, my tension was somewhat uneven. I definitely think I’m improving though, and I am quite happy with how this turned out. I don’t think people are really going to get close enough to my head to notice the few wonky stitches.

Flora

I got so caught up in the fiber fest frenzy of the last couple of weeks that I forgot to show you the Flora Hat I finished before Rhinebeck.

004

Pattern:  Flora Hat from tentenknits/Margaux Pena
Yarn:  Jo Sharp Silk Road DK Tweed, about half a skein of blue and half a skein of green.

002

I knit this to match my knucks and it worked perfectly!

Mods:  I decided to to a square top to the hat, I forget why.  I ran out of the blue, so the very top is green.  I didn’t like having a random green square up there, so I made little tendrils like I did on the knucks.  It’s a design element!  😉

I enjoyed the pattern, and it inspired me to make some more stranded hats to practice the technique.  Currently on the needles: Inga.

Fishy!

gulp

Pattern: Fish Hat (Dead or Alive?)
Yarn: Noro Kureyon #150, Cascade 220 in Navy for fins and lips (buttons for eyes)
For: Elizabeth

My best friend from college, Elizabeth, is already in posession of a squid hat made by another knitting friend of hers.  So when I saw the Fish Hat pattern I immediately thought of her and knew I just had to make her one.  (I went to visit her and present the hat this weekend, but sadly forgot my camera, which is why you see it modeled by little old me).

fish side

fish top

I haven’t seen any other fish hats in Noro Kureyon, which frankly shocks me, since I found the yarn to be so perfect for it.

When Elizabeth put the hat on, she remarked that the fins made it look like a Roman helmet. I didn’t really see it, but when I saw the (fairly ugly) photo below I thought it looked familiar.

roman helmetstud_of_warrior

You be the judge.

Red Light Special – Take Two

I had long and bumpy road with my first attempt at Red Light Special.  Towards the end of that attempt I watched this video on stranded knitting with two hands, and it finally clicked.  I decided to make another Red Light Special using that technique, as practice towards my 2008 fair isle goals.

IMG_3156a

I think it turned out a lot better.

IMG_3163

I used Knit Picks ambrosia for the liner, and it is delightfully soft. I knit the whole liner with the yarn in my left hand so I could get used to the feeling, and I’m glad I did. I’m still getting used to it, but I know it will only get easier with practice.

IMG_3160a

My tension was a lot better this time, as this photo shows. I don’t like the color scheme as much as I did on the first one, because I think the blue and green are close enough that the pattern gets a bit lost. This is a useful lesson for further projects.

IMG_3186a

In general, I’m pretty happy with it.

WEBS trip

One of my knitting buddies from college works at WEBS, and I had heard through the grapevine that there was a sample of Foliage over by the Malabrigo. Being the total dork that I am, I really wanted a picture.  I went up with my mom and my sister today, and we had a fun photo shoot with my friend the foam head.

IMG_3139

IMG_3143

IMG_3145

When we were checking out, Melissa introduced herself and said that she had knit the sample Foliage, so I got a picture with her.  This is the first time I’ve seen an example in real life that I didn’t knit myself, and it was equal parts trippy and awesome.

IMG_3146

Good times.  I’m sort of embarrassed to reveal how excited I was to see my hat at WEBS, but I was really, really excited.